Monday, April 1, 2019

Lots of Help to Get the Job Done Third Sunday in Lent March 24 2019


Luke 10:38-42 “Lots of Help to Get the Job Done” Third Sunday in Lent March 24 2019 Pastor Jacqueline Hines
+++
Luke tells the story of Jesus’ travels. He entered a certain village where Martha and Mary and Lazarus lived. [slide # 1 Mary and Martha] It is interesting that Luke calls it a certain village because the gospel of John just comes right out and tells us that Mary and Martha lived in Bethany with their brother Lazarus. Is it coincidence or is it poetic that Dr. Luke leaves out the name of the city Bethany which could mean “house of figs” which are delicious. [slide # 2 figs] Bethany also means “house of affliction” [slide #  3 tears] which is not at all delicious.
If leaving out the name of the city has poetic meaning, perhaps we can wonder if the point of the story is to fill us with anticipation and wondering whether the end of the story will be delicious or not. [slide # 4  Bethany means…]
Nevertheless, it is important to note that Jesus was welcomed there. He was welcome in the house of Mary and her sister Martha. He was treated like royalty and accepted as a prince. Welcoming is a wonderful thing. Everyone does not welcome Jesus. Everyone does not want to be in the presence of Jesus. Welcoming is a wonderful thing. Jesus goes where he is welcomed. [slide # 5 welcome in your home? ]
Martha was doing a lot of work cooking from scratch. Even if she had servants to help, it was still a lot in those days. Martha was doing all the work, Jesus was doing all the talking and Mary was just sitting there…doing nothing. That made Martha mad. But Martha did not take her complaint to her sister Mary. Martha complained to Jesus.
We all know, the best communication happens when we talk to one another instead of talking about one another. When we talk about one another, we set up a triangle, we live on the edge of gossip, we hide so we can hurt until we are healed and learn to face each other and take full responsibility for our own feelings and behaviors. Dialogue makes the weak strong and the strong, stronger!
Martha should have talked to Mary instead of complaining to anyone else. On the other hand, the best thing we can do when we have a complaint against someone is to first talk to Jesus. Jesus is a good exception to the rule.
Having a little talk with Jesus gives us comfort and guidance during a troubling time. [slide # 6 little girl talking with Jesus]  It is sort of like that old advice when you are really, really upset about someone, write a letter to that person and tear it up. It is good to think about upsetting matters long and hard before doing something rash.
I learned this when I prayed about a woman who did me great harm. I decided I was going to give her a piece of my mind. I was so so so happy when I felt in my heart that the Lord was giving me the direction to go, not that day, but two days later. I thought to myself, wow – God is on my side and will certainly give me the words to say to get justice. However, when the day came, I had lost all my steam. I felt totally different. I was no longer upset, and I was ready to let the whole mater go. I thanked God because I could not afford to give away a piece of my mind and if I had, things probably would have gotten worse instead of better. Because it is easier to forgive than it is to forget, it is wise to talk to Jesus about everything.
Martha was not at all happy with her sister. When siblings are upset, it can get pretty tense. Martha pulled the male authority card on Mary. She pulled the rabbi “Master, do you care card on him…you’re a rabbi, you’re supposed to care. You said you care, but do you really care. [slide # 7 nobody cares sign]
Have you had those days when you questioned whether someone cares about you? They may be a brother, sister, mother, father, friend, or doctor. When our expectations are not met, when our situation is critical, things may happen or not happen and we may wonder who cares about us.
Jesus did not answer Martha’s question about whether he cared. It was a question that he had already answered. It was the same question Methodist minister and songwriter Frank Graeff asked in 1901 - Does Jesus care when my heart is pained too deeply for mirth or song. As the burdens press, and the cares distress, and the way grows weary and long?
The answer comes in the chorus: Oh, yes, He cares, I know He cares, His heart is touched with my grief; when the days are weary, the long nights dreary, I know my Savior cares. [slide # 8 Jesus caring]
The songwriter’s confidence that he is loved and cared for, no doubt, came through personal experience and a personal relationship with God. We all know that relationships take time, intentionality, and work.
Mary was accused of not helping her sister Martha in a critical time, but Mary was very busy, too. She was busy getting to know Jesus. Mary was where she was supposed to be. Mary was nurturing her relationship with Jesus. Mary had chosen the better part. Mary knew that there was just as much value – if not more - in spending time with Jesus as in getting all those chores done.
As children, when someone asked a question, we might have answered, “That is for me to know and for you find out.” When Mary asked Jesus if he cared, I imagined that Jesus’ silence was essentially sending the message: that is for me to know and for you to find out.
That is what faith is. Faith is finding out the many ways we are beloved and cared for. Faith is spending time with Jesus so that we learn beyond a shadow of a doubt that Jesus loves us. When we have a relationship with Jesus, we may not appreciate our circumstances, but we will know we are loved. [slide # 9 faith] We may not take pleasure in our situations, but we will know Jesus delights in us. We may not understand why bad things happen to good people like us, but we will still see countless blessings that are being poured into our lives and we will always find ever so deep in our hearts an attitude of gratitude and a song of praise for the wonder of God’s glory. [slide # 10 faith – mountains]
Martha was distracted by many things. Jesus helped her by telling her about herself. It has been said that the definition of a friend is someone who gives you feedback. Jesus is a friend who tells us about ourselves, who helps us see ourselves as others see us, who helps us see where we need to work on ourselves and become stronger Christians.
Mary, on the other hand was focusing on her relationship with Jesus. Jesus helped Martha by telling her the truth that being with Jesus is a top priority and instead of complaining when others are with Jesus, she should be celebrating. Spending time with Jesus makes the world a better place and helps us to get our chores done, too. [slide #  11 Mary and Martha]
The blessings that come in our relationship with Jesus are not given to us by the world. We do not need to be insecure, nor do we need to compete with others because the blessings that come in our relationship with Jesus cannot be taken from us.
I felt particularly blessed this week. I have always aspired to have a very neat desk like my graduate school statistics professor. It never seems to work for me. So last week, as I often do, I cried out to the Lord, “Help me Lord to at least get rid of some of this clutter.” I had also misplaced a very important set of numbers for a report that was due. So I added to my prayers, “Lord help me to find that sheet with the numbers so I can finish my report on time.”
So I carefully went through four piles on my desk and still no numbers after an hour of searching and sorting and tossing unneeded paper into the recycling bin. Suddenly it occurred to me that what I was looking for was not on my desk but it was in the bag where I stored my computer. I concluded that God tricked me so I could at least go through that pile on my desk and be the answer to my own prayer.  
So Mary spending quality time with Jesus had all the help she needed in Jesus to get anything done. [slide # 12 Jesus…all we need] Martha got a lot of help too, even if it wasn’t the help she was looking for. We too have all the help we need to get a job done well! All we need to do is have a little talk with Jesus. Tell him all about our troubles, our dreams, our hopes and learn from him. He will show us the way and help us to get the job done. Jesus is all we need. Amen.  [slide # 13 Jesus and children]

No comments:

Post a Comment